Monday, September 7, 2015

Harvest Monday, 6 September 2015

There were some large harvests this week. Though technically the onions were harvested a while ago, I only weigh them in once they are cured and braided. I only braid the best of the onions, the rest go right to the kitchen for immediate use.

The last of the melons were harvested. The melons weren't as good as last year. This year they got wilt and slowly struggled. I don't think melons are as susceptible and seem to resist it fine unless the cukes are near them. Or at least the only two years I've had trouble with it where the two years the cukes and the melons grew close. I'll be better next year. That said the yield was good again. Not quite as high as last year, but within 10%.

There were plenty of cukes, some of which weren't shown. The zucchini have slowed way down. They get barely any sun now and powdery mildew has hit hard. But I'll take tiny zukes over no zukes. Nothing else had time to grow at this point. The garden has too much shade. So I'll just let them put out little bits now and then.

And did you notice my first Chinese cabbage? I had to pick it as it was dying. I think I let them dry out too much and that one was hit the hardest. I've got to water better. Usually this time of the year is wet and cools down, but the unusual hot dry weather is continuing.

I picked the corn last week. It was s dismal corn year. Last year I got about 46 pounds. This year it was only 26. I was blaming it on the aggressive squash, but I had one block that had just the typical butternuts under them and they didn't size up well either. I don't know why they did so badly this year. But at least what we got was delicious.

My old reliable came in again this week.

And a nice pile of broccoli rounds out the vegetables.

The only perennial fruit on the tally is the raspberries. When I remember to pick them I'll go out in the afternoon and store them for breakfast. Right now it is my favorite way to eat them.

  • Alliums, 13.94 lbs
  • Broccoli, 2.83 lbs
  • Corn, 2.33 lbs
  • Cucumbers, 6.02 lbs
  • Greens, 1.51 lbs
  • Greens, Asian, 0.74 lbs
  • Herbs, 0.13 lbs
  • Melons, 16.30 lbs
  • Summer Squash, 0.42 lbs
  • Weekly total, 44.21 lbs
  • Yearly total, 440.06 lbs, $929.38

  • Raspberries, 0.27 lbs
  • Fruit Yearly total, 100.55 lbs

Harvest Monday is a day to show off your harvests, how you are saving your harvest, or how you are using your harvest. If you have a harvest you want to show off, add your name and link to Mr Linky below.

19 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful braided onions and the melons are spectacular. My garden gets shaded in late afternoon this time of year too. It makes it challenging to grow fall crops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful harvests! So envious of your melons--ours are not ripe yet. And I did not know there was a problem with melons next to cucumbers--it's always something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not every year can be a bumper year when vegetables and fruit are involved. Natural variables mean that they are different every time - unless they grow in an artificial environment. You have done well on some things, but not so well on others - in other words, it was a "normal" result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red onions are lovely, and so is the corn. It turned hot and dry here too and I've been using the soaker hoses to keep things growing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your onion braids are always so nice! We are super busy this month, so I likely won't be cleaning them up until closer to the end of September, which is about the same time as last year. They don't seem to mind hanging out in the garage in the meantime. And very envious of the corn - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice harvest. I'm impressed with your cucumbers. I buy my corn from local farmers and they are not having a great corn year, either. Usually I just grab ears but this year you have to check under the husks. A lot of ears have not filled out this year. Wonder if it is the dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well according to the farmers at Kimball's Farm it is the lack of rain. Farmers in MA only have limited irrigation ability as we usually get plenty of rain.

      Delete
  7. Hi Daphne, Those onions are beautiful! When you get so many melons at once can you use them all? A little corn is better than none like me! Nice harvest of different things for this time of year! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I certainly did notice that Chinese Cabbage! What an interesting shape, I don't think I've seen anything that long and thin. Or is it because you said the plant was dying?? Beautiful onions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Michihili Chinese cabbage which is more torpedo shaped than barrel shaped. It grows much better than the Napa cabbage does here.

      Delete
  9. Your onions are gorgeous. The crops do vary year to year, sometimes due to conditions beyond our control. We can especially enjoy the productive years of a crop.

    Margaret Mead noted metaphorically that the frost produces a better harvest of blackberries: "Blackberry winter, the time when the hoarfrost lies on the blackberry blossoms; without this frost the berries will not set. It is the forerunner of a rich harvest." That's why, in my opinion, the raspberries are a shadow of the flavorful ones we grew in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice cucumbers and raspberries! Ours "burned out" a while ago.

    Is that a specific fall-bearing variety of raspberry?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The onion braids look fantastic! I guess I should try braiding them some time. I've done garlic that way but never onions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your onions are so pretty, mine tend to be a bit grungy looking, but tasty so I can't complain too much. It's been getting hot here too, which is not unusual for us at this time of year, but we seem to be getting more heatwaves than usual. My garden seems to love it for the most part, but it helps that I have a very efficient timed irrigation system.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My harvest was small this week, but the tomatoes are gearing up for a big haul. All they need is a few days of sun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your onions are beautiful - the red is quite striking. The melons, corn and other veg look fab too. I've had smallish harvests of various bits and pieces this summer but enjoyable none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The onions look great - I have a few red onions but they're quite small. The corn is beautiful! To me, 24lbs would be an incredible crop, wowee.
    I'm missing my summer rasps already, they're so nice to eat as you pick, yours look very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd be over the moon if I had grown melons.

    ReplyDelete