Saturday, April 25, 2015

Growth

This week has been below normal in temperatures, but it hasn't stopped the garden from popping up in growth. This is especially true of the spinach in the Circle Garden. A week ago I might have found a leaf or two to pick. Today once it warms up from its low of 34F (1C), I'll get to go out and make my first picking. I'm dancing with joy over that.

The lettuce on the other hand is just sitting there this week. It has made some progress but not enough to want to harvest anything from it. You can tell it has been cold as the Red Sails lettuce is all red. When it gets warmer it will be a lot greener.

Right next to the lettuce are my radishes. They have all popped up. I've thinned them out to about 4". That is enough space for them to grow quickly this spring. I could have left them closer, but I didn't. Impatience for my crops is winning out.

Off in the main part of the garden (going from bed 8 to bed 1), the peas have started to come up. Really I saw the first little green bits a week ago. I see more now, but they haven't really unfurled. They are being slow.

In the same bed but under cover my turnips are coming up. Around them are my Chinese cabbages that are doing well. I like to put the turnips down the middle as the cabbages take up so much space, but when they are young they don't. I'll have to get in and thin those turnips soon. I probably won't give them as much space as I did my radishes. These will mature in spurts over time.

I have spinach coming up in a lot of beds, but the best is the one by the brick path. The beds closer to it are always warmer and it isn't just the bricks. They get more sun here. I can even see little tiny true leaves starting to form. There is good germination in one of the other beds too, but one is being slow about it. The ground was still frozen 4" down in parts of that bed when they were planted. So it is taking a while to warm up. The warmer parts are sprouted but the parts closest to the fence are not. But spinach I've found doesn't rot out easily. So they will be up when the ground is warm enough.

The allium bed is doing very well. The garlic all came up. And the onions that I planted a little over a week ago are starting to break dormancy.

I think the hard winter really hurt the kale. I'm still going to get a decent harvest from the dwarf curly kale as it is so hardy.

The Winterbor kale didn't fare as well. A couple died outright. The tops of all of the plants died. But I cut the dead parts off and the rest of the stems are starting to sprout leaves. I'm not sure what the harvest will be, but I'll at least get some kale raab. But that is weeks away.

And last but not least, my best hope for early harvests - my baby Asian greens. They always do so well in the spring. Except for the few larger plants they were put in a week an a half ago. And even with our cooler temps this week, they have kept growing well.

I have other things in the garden growing too. The carrots started sprouting a couple of days ago. So they have taken two weeks to germinate. Some years it is three. The umbelliferae bed is growing slowly and the fennel has started to sprout. The broccoli and other brassicas are doing very very well under their row covers. The chard is surviving. It survives quite well at these temperatures, but it doesn't like them. It wants warmer weather. Which it will get come Wednesday. It looks like that is the turning point to better weather. At least for a short time.

7 comments:

  1. You guys suffer a lot in the Winter, but your gardens seem to get going much quicker than ours when the Spring comes. Over here a lettuce seems to take about 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, I would be dancing too - your greens are really waking up & looking great.

    My seedlings have not grown at all (or so it seems) since I planted them out over a week ago. The wind has also been terrible and several of them look pretty battered. I'm hoping they perk up with the warmer temperatures this coming week and that I start to see some nice growth.

    Thanks for the reminder on the baby Asian greens - I have to get those going asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, you're garden is really motoring along. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so much already, it looks great! I was worried about my garlic as it seemed to take a long time coming up but it's OK now. Not as advanced as yours, but at least I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking encouraging. You are obviously weeks ahead of me. And you are right, everything seems to be growing slowly this year. My lettuces in flats have been under lights for weeks and well watered and fed, but they just sit there, too small to set out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things are really going great guns now Daphne you have really set off ay a pace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those rows of veggies are looking really good! Your planning really pays off.

    ReplyDelete