Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cold

I'm very happy that we are getting rain again like we should be. It has been so dry. Yesterday we got about 2/3". So the soil is happy again as are the plants. I'm less happy about the temperature. Earlier in the year I complained about the exceedingly hot weather. Now I'm shivering as I drink my hot tea. Yesterday it barely hit 50F (10C). Today it will only be a little bit better.

Now I don't mind a cold spell or two. But my schedule says that May 1st is the time to plant my first of four waves of corn.

But the soil temperature is saying something different. Corn likes to germinate in soil temperatures over 60F (15C), but it will germinate in soil temperatures 50F(10C) or higher. The soil is 48F. A bit too low. If I planted right now I wouldn't speed up the corn sprouting and the seed might rot in the ground. I'll have to wait until it warms up a touch. I might have to wait a week or two. Or this weekend it might be warm enough. If we would get some sun, the soil would warm up quickly, but we have a lot of clouds and drizzly weather in the forecast.

Did you notice my "soil" thermometer? I used to use it to make lattes. My husband bought me a latte maker years ago. I loved it until I started gaining weight. It pretended to be my friend, but in reality it was evil. Now the thermometer has been repurposed for the garden.

11 comments:

  1. It was supposed to be nice sunny day and 70 degrees (at least according to the weather chanel), and instead it's low 50 outside and raining like crazy. What happened to all that sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not very happy about this cool weather. I'm finding myself watching all the news networks until I like the forecast they have. None of them seem to agree this week. Here's hoping for a warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you put black plastic down to warm the soil faster?
    I need to check my soil temp this weekend hopefully the sun will come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could if we got sun. I'm guessing as soon as the sun comes out the soil will warm naturally fairly fast. But the forecast says no sun until at least Monday. I'm just hoping they are wrong.

      Delete
  4. Same problem here. It was warm and sunny last week, forecast said temps in the 50-75 degree range, so I planted the corn, tomatoes and peppers. So what do we get? Temps of 40-65. Ten degrees below normal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had some nice April weather and now it is 20* and spitting snow. Very disappointing, but to be expected. We just got excited when the sun was shining. I have two cool soil themometers as well. They are the size of a salad plate. (My hubby surprises me with fun stuff for the garden). Hope you warm up soon so you can plant that corn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are also getting some rain. My lawns greened up and the garden has perked up too. I have some friends that have had some really great success warming the soil up by covering it with some clear plastic for a week or so. Just put it down and hold it with a few rocks you will be amazed how quickly it will bring the soil temp up. Be sure you use clear plastic, the black plastics don't allow the UV rays through so the only thing that gets warm is the plastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our temps are about 10 degrees above normal in Mobile, AL. We broke records earlier this week, when we hit 91. (It's usually June before we hit the 90's.) We are finally getting some rain today, but it's really dry.

    I am sorry you are shivering. But I am glad you are getting some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sun hasn't been out here for 4 days now. I think it will still be quite awhile before I get out into the mud pit I mean garden...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dratted lattes. . . I tell myself that drinking them without sugar is a step forward, but we'll see. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! I use my latte thermometer for roasting meat too. Good idea using it for soil! It has been strange all over the Northern Hemisphere this spring... I hope it returns to some normality soon! :)

    ReplyDelete