Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Today I noticed I still hadn't done anything with the hot peppers. I thought about making more pickled peppers, but I wanted to do something different. So instead I made hot sauce. I looked at a recipe for Louisiana Hot Sauce, but it was so boring. Yes I wanted mostly chilies and vinegar, but you have to have at least some garlic and a little bit of sugar helps you deal with the heat.

Daphne's Green Hot Sauce

  • 14 green cayenne peppers and 22 serrano pepper (or any kind you've got)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 3/4 c vinegar
  • t sugar
  • t salt

Roughly chop the peppers and garlic. Toss everything all into a small saucepan. Boil covered for 10 minutes or until the peppers are soft. BTW I should emphasize that the pan needs to be covered. It really turns the house into a smelly place and a cover helps a lot. You really don't want to choke on hot pepper fumes. Put it into a food processor and process until smooth. Pour into a sterilized jar. I used an old vinegar jar.

You could process this I suppose. But why bother. Anything with this much vinegar will keep forever. I just put mine in the fridge. Though if I had a lot of peppers, I could process it and give it out as gifts. I certainly don't need more than one bottle in a year. Hmm but if you gave it out as gifts you couldn't have it in a tall thin bottle. And hot sauce in a canning jar just isn't right. Do you know of anyone that makes canning jars for things like vinegar or hot sauce?

One drop of this is really hot. It is perfect to spice up anything. If that chili is a bit too mild just a touch of this and instant heat.

And speaking of heat. I opened the windows in the lower part of the house to get rid of that peppers and vinegar smell. I turned the heat off but so far the house hasn't dropped a degree. It is amazingly warm today. It might get up into the mid 60s.

16 comments:

  1. Wow, my mouth is burning just looking at that hot sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will share this one my bf. He will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wish I had saved some peppers to make a hot sauce. I too looked for some hot sauce recipes..none thrilled me though. Thanks for sharing...I will definitely be making some next year! "The Italian" actually has a hot sauce collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No canning jars that I know of, but can you freeze them or even freeze it in baggies and defrost and pour into the jars?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your recipe, this would be a perfect way to make the best use of the few hot peppers we have left.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drool! Thank you for posting this, now to coax some more peppers into growing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't believe you posted this. I was just thinking that I needed to do something with all the cayenne peppers that did not turn red. - Going for it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for that great recipe! I will try to make a bottle, me too:)
    Take care,
    Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  9. meemsnyc, my eyes water just thinking of it.

    Michelle, I hope he likes spicy.

    Robin, Wow a hot sauce collection. I love different hot sauces. It would be fun to make a few different types. I always want the Caribbean ones with mango or papaya. They do dilute the peppers though. Maybe next year I'll try one with a touch of fruit.

    Ribbit, true, but then you couldn't give pretty gifts. I suppose if you defrosted right before giving.

    Mr H, it is good for a small amount of peppers. Since you don't need much over the year - well I don't need much ymmv.

    Nartaya, I hope your peppers grow so you can make some.

    johanna, lol it is the reason I did this. I had six red cayennes this year. They just didn't do well for some reason. They didn't want to set early on. But I had a nice little batch of green peppers.

    Madame C, I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely have to try this. I've left most of my chilies to dry but a few are still pretty plump.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this looks awesome! i LOVE hot sauce! I might have to try growing hotter peppers then the hungarian wax just to make this!
    My mouth is watering, and maybe burning a little!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The hot sauce looks very good! You had a good question about the types of jars. I like making various vinegars, but always have a problem when it comes to the storage jars.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks amazing! I had very few peppers this year and did not grow any hot varieties. Now I wish I had just so I could give your recipe a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, great peppers---wonderful photo.Found your garden blog, I love gardens. Glad to meet a fellow gardener. Please visit my garden photos if you'd like to see what is growing in the California desert.
    http://www.mysisterdalesgarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice blog you have. Wonderful photos. Have a nice day/Gela

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe, I always make red pepper sauce but never tried the green version, I'll have to this.

    ReplyDelete