Monday, September 15, 2008

Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day September 2008

Wow, it is already that time of the month for Garden Blogger's Bloom Day put on the Carol of May Dream Gardens. Where does the time go? I really have very few plants that are specifically autumn blooming plants. The one and only is my Sedum telephium 'Autumn Joy'. And to digress a little. That is the last Latin name you will see here. I really haven't embraced such things despite her call for it. Weeding I can embrace. Latin names not so much. I have trouble remembering my own name, much less a plant's correct name.

That is not to say I don't have blooming plants. My David Austin rose has gotten its second (third?) wind and is blooming its socks off. Or petals off. My driveway was strewn with rose petals yesterday. A very romatic way to enter the house even it if wasn't my husband's doing.

I have many that have been blooming for quite some time: hosta (different variety than last month's, just don't ask me the name), three kinds of coreopsis, black eyed susans, ballon flower (just a few left), pink mallow (amost gone), cosmos, sweet allysum, impatiens and I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's most of them.

I still have lots of blooms in the vegetable garden. Some will be fruitless blooms since it is too late for the tomatoes, eggplant and peppers to get ripe. But the summer squash and cucumber blooms have a chance. They only take 3-7 days to fruit. Sadly the summer squash put out a plethora of male blossoms yesterday, and today it's working on the female blossoms. I'm not going to get squash with that timing. The beans and peas are blooming like crazy. The raspberries are also still blooming, but the bright red berries are stealing the show. Nothing is prettier than a cane of red ripe berries, not even my sedum. Of course I picked them all this morning before remembering to take a photo, so you will just have to imagine. Or go over to the Shibaguys blog and see their blackberry cane photo. It lacks the bright red, but still is beautiful.

In the herb garden the following are blooming: basil, coriander, dill, mint, creeping thyme, feverfew (again!), chamomile, lemon balm and borage. The borage finally bloomed. I planted it late and it didn't like our wet July. It finally started growing when the rains stopped in August.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have quite a few things still blooming in your September garden Daphne. I love your David Austin Rose, what a classic old single. I bet it smells good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden seems to be going all out, does it know fall is coming? And I hope you'll reconsider on the botanical names!

    Thanks for joining in for bloom day again!

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to giggle at your tossing in the towel on Latin names. I love them, but I've started keeping a file of all the ones with the recently changed names. It's like when an old girlfriend gets married & you have to not only remember her new last name, but also how to spell & pronounce it. I don't blame you for giving up. What a beautiful image - a driveway strewn with Rose petals! I wonder if I'll ever have the same effect from the 'Carefree Beauty' planted next to the driveway. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you still have some nice plants blooming for fall. The herbs always do really well in the fall. We also have an herb garden, and it's doing really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shot of the sedum. I had to laugh at your comments about the timing of the male/female flowers on your squash vines. I was so desperate to get at least one potimarron squash this year that I took matters into my own hands. Every morning I go out, q-tips in hand, to ensure pollination occurs. Your herb garden sounds lovely.
    --Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete