Tuesday, August 5, 2008

More Eggplant Coming In

Friday I picked my first eggplant. I debated how to cook it, but settled on eggplant parmesan. I usually don't like fried food. Well I like the first few bites then it makes me sick. And I mean literally sick. My stomach will hurt for quite a while. So I eat very little fried food.

Eggplant parmesan is a fried food, but it can be made baked too. So I did. I sliced then covered the eggplant in egg and then coated it in breadcrumbs spiced up with seasonings and baked it in the oven . Then I added sauce and cheese. It was another good recipe from Allrecipes.com. And the best part was I liked it. I didn't taste anything bitter in it at all.

Since that eggplant experiment turned out so well, the next time I'll have to do a stir fry just so I can taste the eggplant. I did taste a little bit of flavor that wasn't cheese and sauce and breadcrumbs, but it was subtle and not bad at all.

And I have plenty of little eggplants coming in. They are growing so quickly. The first photo all the way at the top was taken Saturday morning and each succeeding photo was taken one day later. You can see how quickly they are growing by looking at how far down the front eggplant is compared to the branches.

8 comments:

  1. Your garden keeps making me hungry! I love eggplant- I should have grown it this year. Next year I must grow it again.

    One of my favorite ways to eat is to roast it with some bell peppers and mushrooms which have had olive oil, herbs, and balsamic vinegar poured over them. It is Heaven on a plate to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm that sounds good. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eggplants look great and that recipe sounds pretty good too. :) Fried food does the same thing to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Look at all that great eggplant! How tall is your plant? Mine aren't very tall, and the eggplant always touch the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear you liked the eggplant. I think when we get our big raised beds up and running I'll have to grow an eggplant, just to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your eggplants look great! I was surprised at how quickly mine branched and flowered, having never grown it before. I just love looking at the lustrous purple fruits! Now I see why so many kitchen items have eggplant motifs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all.

    I have one eggplant that is almost two feet tall, but the smallest is only one foot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love eggplant and your photos made my mouth water!!! The taste of any vegetable fresh off the plant/vine is heavenly!

    ReplyDelete